I adapted the recipe from a taste.com recipe so I’ll post my renamed version as it turned out pretty darn well. Four of us polished this entire cake off in one go last night!
Sticky Pineapple Upside Down Cake
1 Fresh pineapple (or canned but fresh is best!)
125g unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
1 1/4 cups self-raising flour
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup hi-lo milk
75g unsalted butter
1/3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Grease a 6cm deep, 22cm round (base) cake pan. Line base and sides with baking paper.
3. Peel, slice and remove the hard centred core from pineapple (I used a small star shape cookie cutter to remove the core), then pat slices dry with paper towel.
Then put aside and prepare the cake.
5. Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and vanilla paste until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Add flours and milk. Beat for a few more minutes then pour cake mixture over pineapple:
6. Bake for around 45 – 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean (cover loosely with foil if over-browning during cooking).
7. Remove from oven. Let stand in pan for ten or so minutes then turn put onto a wire rack.
8. Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve with cream or ice-cream.